What is the Youth Commission responsible for?
- To act in an advisory capacity to the City of Santa Clara City Council on matters pertaining to the youth and teen population, especially as related to municipal programs and projects of the City
- Foster increased involvement in the affairs of municipal government
- Study problems and hold forums on issues, activities and concerns of Santa Clara youth
- Recommend the implementation of community programs, which the Youth Commission deems desirable
- Review municipal matters referred to the Youth Commission by the City Council, or by other City of Santa Clara Commissions, and make recommendations on such matters
Perform other related functions assigned to them by the City Council
What are some of the Youth Commission's accomplishments?
- Successfully recommended the development of a Skate Park in Santa Clara, which opened in September, 1999
- Successfully recommended the development of a high school Teen Center, which opened in January, 2003
- Offer a community service scholarship to high school juniors and graduating seniors
- Hosted Run Santa Clara: 5K to encourage family to enjoy green space and instill healthy habits
- Co-hosted the Inclusive Makerspace STEM event for youth with special needs
- Arrange recreation activities such as special events for teens
- Volunteer at a variety of City-wide sponsored events
How long can I serve as a Youth Commissioner?
The Youth Commission shall consist of up to fifteen members, each serving a one-year term. The maximum term of service is four calendar years.
When and where are Youth Commission meetings?
The Youth Commission meets on the second Tuesday of each month, September through May, at the Santa Clara Teen Center, located at 2446 Cabrillo Avenue in Santa Clara. The meetings take place from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
What are the requirements to be a Youth Commissioner?
- Applicants must be residents of the City of Santa Clara
- Young people ages 12-19 years of age will be sought for membership
- Members of the Youth Commission shall not hold any paid office or employment in the City of Santa Clara government
- As a minimum, the Youth Commission membership should consist of at least one representative from each middle and high school in Santa Clara (i.e. Buchser Middle School, Cabrillo Middle School, Santa Clara High School, Wilcox High School)
What is the application process?
- Complete and return the attached application along with one letter of recommendation from a teacher, advisor, counselor or coach to the Teen Center by 6:00 p.m. on Monday, March 11, 2019.
- An informational meeting will be held on Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM at the Teen Center.
- All interviews will take place in person, on Saturday, March 23, 2019 at the Teen Center, located at 2446 Cabrillo Avenue in Santa Clara.
- Please call no later than Monday, March 18, 2019 to schedule your interview time. Time slots will be given on a first come, first serve basis. No exceptions will be made.
- Each applicant will be asked the same series of questions. City staff will facilitate the interview panel. Applicants will be rated on communication skills, leadership potential, commitment/dedication and enthusiasm/interest.
- City staff will announce the 2019-2020 Youth Commission in May 2019.
- The City Clerk will swear Youth Commissioners into office in September 2019.
- Download current Youth Commission term application (PDF) - Deadline has passed. Please apply next term.
- Applications are also available at the Teen Center, Community Recreation Center, Central Library, Santa Clara Unified Middle and High School Counseling and ASB offices.
- Download current Community Service Scholarship application (PDF) - Deadline has passed. Please apply next year.
- Applications are also available at the Teen Center, Community Recreation Center, Central Library, Santa Clara and Wilcox high school counseling and ASB offices.
For additional information contact Jon Kawada, Staff Liaison, at the Teen Center, (408) 615-3740. The Youth Commission may also be contacted by email at YouthCommission@santaclaraca.gov.