What is the Zoning Code?
The City’s Zoning Code regulates land uses within the boundaries of Santa Clara. The Code establishes zoning districts (e.g., Single-Family, General Office, Downtown Commercial) that are applied to individual properties consistent with the General Plan land use designations. For each of the zone districts in the city, the Code identifies land uses that are permitted, conditionally permitted, and not permitted. It also establishes standards such as minimum lot size, maximum building height, and the minimum distance buildings must be set back from the street. Provisions for parking, landscaping, lighting, and other rules that guide the development of projects in the city are also included.
Zoning Code Goals
The overall goals of the Zoning Code are to promote the city’s growth in an orderly manner and to promote and protect the public health, safety, peace, comfort, and general welfare in conformance with the 2010–2035 General Plan (PDF, 50 MB).
To access the City of Santa Clara's Zoning Code, click on the following link: Zoning Code.
What is Your Zoning?
To find out zoning information for your property you may do one of the following:
- Search by property address or Assessor's Parcel Number (APN) using our interactive map: MAP Santa Clara.
- Contact the Planning Division at (408) 615-2450 or Planning@santaclaraca.gov.
Once you identify your zoning designation, continue to the links below for the corresponding zoning ordinance and webpages. If your zoning designation does not appear below, please contact the Planning Division for more information.
Residential Zoning Districts
- R1-8L – Single-Family, Larger Lot Area Zoning Districts
- R1-6L – Single-Family Zoning Districts
- R2-7L – Duplex Zoning Districts
- R3-18D – Low-Density Multiple-Dwelling Zoning Districts
- R3-25D – Moderate-Density Multiple-Dwelling Zoning Districts
- R3-36D – Medium-Density Multiple-Dwelling Zoning Districts
Non-Residential and Other Zoning Districts
- A – Agricultural Zoning Districts
- R3-M – Mobile Home Park Zoning Districts
- R3-RV – Recreational Vehicle Park Zoning Districts
- OA – Professional Office Zoning Districts
- OG – General Office Zoning Districts
- CN – Neighborhood Commercial Zoning Districts
- CC – Community Commercial Zoning Districts
- CT – Thoroughfare Commercial Zoning Districts
- CD – Downtown Commercial Zoning Districts
- CP – Commercial Park Zoning Districts
- CR – Commercial Recreation Zoning Districts
- MP – Planned Industrial Zoning Districts
- ML – Light Industrial Zoning Districts
- MH – Heavy Industrial Zoning Districts
- B – Public, Quasi-Public, and Public Park or Recreation Zoning Districts
- PD – Planned Development and Combined Zoning Districts
- HT – Historic Combining Districts
- Select General Plan or Zoning Data layer using the Change visible map layers option under the I want to... drop down menu.