Finance FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

  • I have a question on an invoice I submitted to the City for payment--who can I contact?

    Questions regarding invoices should be directed to Accounts Payable, by calling (408) 615-2369, or please send an email to:
  • If the power is already on, do I have to put the services under my name?

    Yes. When the new responsible party moves into a property, they are fully responsible for the bill. Per Municipal Services Rules & Regulations, the new responsible party must notify Municipal Services within five (5) business days of any change in name and/or ownership of a property.
  • Can I have utility services at two different addresses?

    Yes. Utility services can be provided at multiple addresses. A connection fee will be charged for each meter at each location.
  • How do I submit a public records request?

    You may submit a public records request through the City Clerk's Office - Request Public Records page.

  • Is there a fee to start service?

    Yes. There is a one-time connection fee charged for each meter located on the property.  This charge will appear on your first bill.
  • How can I start or stop utility service?

    To start or stop utility services, you will need to contact us at least one business day in advance.  You may do so by visiting My Utilities Account or call 408-615-2300 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
  • What utility services does the City of Santa Clara provide?

    The City of Santa Clara provides electric, water, garbage, recycling, and sewer services. PG&E provides gas service and can be reached at (800) 743-5000.
  • My power is off. Who do I contact to turn it on?

    If you are the only one in your area experiencing an outage, check to see if your circuit breakers or fuses in the main electric box have blown. If that is not the case, contact Municipal Services at (408) 615-2300. If your neighborhood appears to be out of power, contact Silicon Valley Power at (408) 615-5640.

  • How can I get a copy of my business license?

    A written request and a fee are required to obtain a replacement copy of your certificate.
  • Can I use my license to do business in another city?

    No, the Business Tax Certificate is for doing business in the City of Santa Clara only. If you plan on doing business in another city, you must contact them in order to obtain their requirements for a business license.
  • What if I move my business to a new location?

    Any changes to your business (i.e., location, type of business, business entity, ownership, etc.) will require a new Business License Application to be submitted. If the business is no longer located in the City of Santa Clara, written notification from the business owner must be submitted to close the Business Tax Certificate.
  • I just purchased an existing business. Can I use the previous owner’s business license?

    No, unless a business is a corporation and the Tax ID is not changing, a Business Tax Certificate is non-transferrable. As a new owner, you are required to submit a new Business License Application to cover the business operation under your ownership.
  • If my business license expires, does that mean my business is closed?

    Expired Business Tax Certificates are automatically cancelled 90 days after the expiration date. We require written notification from the owner in the event of a closure or sale. Please mail your written notification to: City of Santa Clara, Business Tax Unit, 1500 Warburton Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050.
  • Do I need a business license if I run a business out of my home?

    Yes, a home-based business is required to obtain a Business Tax Certificate. Businesses operating out of the home are required to apply in-person at the Planning Department at City Hall.
  • Do you offer financial assistance for utility customers?

    Yes. We offer programs for customers who qualify for financial assistance. For more information, visit My Utilities Account  or contact Municipal Services at (408) 615-2300 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
  • How can I pay my bill?

    We offer many options to pay your bill. Please visit My Utilities Account or contact Municipal Services at (408) 615-2300 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays.
  • How often am I billed?

    We read meters and bill customers monthly.

View Full Site