The holiday season is always a special time of year. The following tips will hopefully help reduce your risk to home fires and other preventable hazards.
- Water live Christmas trees on a daily basis.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- Have a home fire escape plan.
- Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Test your smoke alarms.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarms.
- Don’t overload extension cords or power strips.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from heating equipment.
- Stay out of flood waters, if possible, and do not drive into flooded areas.
Below are links to PDF documents with more helpful fire safety tips:
Christmas Tree Safety Tips
Holiday Decorating Safety Tips
Cooking Safety Tips
Plan 2 Ways Out
Candle Safety Tips
Smoke Alarm Safety Tips
Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
Electrical Safety Tips
Heating Safety Tips
Winter Storm Tips