Policy Governing the Use of Library Grounds
The City of Santa Clara recognizes that the public may wish to use the Library grounds for various purposes. This wish must be balanced with the needs of the City and the users of the Library. Thus, the Library is considered to be a limited public forum subject to certain time, place and manner restrictions. Any individual or group wishing to use the Library grounds by speaking or distributing petitions, surveys, or other written information of a public, noncommercial, or religious nature may do so under the conditions set forth below.
- All activities covered by this policy must:
- be approved in advance and in writing by the City Librarian or designee;
- be carried out during the Library’s regular hours of service;
- occur out of the path of foot traffic from all directions; and
- be conducted in the area shaded on diagram (Note: due to insufficient space these activities shall not be conducted at the Parkside entrance).
- Person(s) conducting activities covered by this policy must comply with all requests of Library staff and shall not:
- harass or intimidate others;
- touch or handle any individual in any manner;
- block, hinder or impede travel to or from the Library or any entrance or exit;
- set up or use tables, easels, free-standing displays, signboards, signs, chairs or furniture of any type (permittees will be allowed to bring a chair to accommodate a disability);
- disrupt the orderly operation of the Library (this provision includes, but shall not be limited to, raised voices);
- violate any law of the United States, the State of California or any ordinance of the City of Santa Clara.
- Due to limited space and demand by other groups/individuals for its use, in granting permission to conduct an approved activity, the Library reserves the right to:
- a. limit participation to a single group/individual during any given time period
- b. limit the size of the group
- c. deny use to any group/individual
- d. limit the number of times a group/individual may conduct such activities
- e. limit the duration of each such activity.
- All materials and trash must be removed from Library grounds by the end of any allotted time slot.
- No public address, voice enhancement, light display or other electronic devices may be used on Library grounds.
- Those who fail to comply with the terms of this policy may be asked to leave Library grounds and may be denied subsequent permission to use space on Library grounds for similar purposes.
- Commercial advertising, vending, selling or soliciting of any type, as well as any other commercial or for-profit activities, are strictly prohibited on Library grounds.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Date of proposed activity:_____________________________________________________
Time of proposed activity:_____________________________________________________
Number of persons to be present:_______________________________________________
Name of group, if applicable (Please Print): ________________________________________
Applicant’s Name (Please Print):_________________________________________________
Applicant’s Address:_______________________________City:___________________Zip: _________ (Street #)
My signature below indicates that I have read and agree to comply with the terms of this policy:
City Librarian/designee:______________________________ Date:_______________
Questions related to this policy should be directed to the City Librarian or designee,
Monday – Friday during regular business hours, (408) 615-2930
Approved, Board of Library Trustees,
December 5, 2005
Revised & Approved by Board:
August 1, 2011
Revised & Approved by Board:
February 6, 2012