New Residential Development
Park & Recreational Land Dedication and/or Fees Due In-Lieu
Since September 13, 2014, the Santa Clara City Code includes Chapter 17.35 “Park and Recreational Land” that requires new residential developments to provide developed park and recreational land, and/or pay a fee in-lieu thereof pursuant to the California Quimby Act (Quimby) and/or the Mitigation Fee Act (MFA). In addition, City Code Chapter 3.15 Dwelling Unit Tax also applies to residential development.
Stakeholders and Community Input 2018-2019
- October 29, 2019 - City Council Meeting (Resolution #19-8769 Amending Resolution #19-8749)
- October 18, 2019 - RTC 19-1022 analyzing potential options for a gradual phase-in of the fees and use of cost escalator for parkland improvement costs posted on website & in City Clerk’s Office in conformance with Government Code Section 66016.
- October 8, 2019 - City Council Meeting (In Lieu Fee approval Continued to October 29, 2019)
- August 27, 2019 - City Council Meeting (RTC 19-800 and approved Resolution #19-8749; In Lieu Fee approval continued to October 8, 2019)
- April 9, 2019 - City Council Meeting (Item continued to August 27, 2019)
- March 2018 through February 2019 - Public Comment & Letters Received
- February 26, 2019 5:00 PM - Public Input Period Ends
- February 26, 2019 - Meeting #4 at Santa Clara Senior Center (Presentation)
- February 15, 2019 - Questions & Answers
- January 22, 2019 - Meeting #3 at Santa Clara Senior Center (Presentation)
- January 14, 2019 - Begin Public Review and Comment Period (30 Business Days)
- January 11, 2019 - Notice of Public Input Period
- January 4, 2019 -Admin Draft released "Park &Recreation Facilities Development Impact Fee Study Update" (Wildan Financial Services)
- June 11, 2018 & June 27, 2018 - Public Community and Stakeholder Meetings #1 & #2.
Fee Resolutions & Ordinances (Fee Schedules are attached at end of each resolution):
On October 14, 2019, the Council held a public hearing and approved a resolution that established the park in lieu fee schedule for new residential development for FY2019/20 including the parkland value at 100% of the annual appraised values, and the park improvement cost increase to be phased in 25% per year over the next four years. The Council also directed staff to revisit, in two years, the use of the California Construction Cost index to address cost escalation and help the City maintain 100% park cost recovery in the future.
Resolution #19-8769 (10-29-2019)
Resolution #19-8749* (8-27-2019) [*Amended by Resolution #19-8769]
Resolution #17-8427 (5-9-2017)
Resolution #16-8358 (8-23-2016)
Resolution #14-8174 (10-14-2014)
Ordinance #1937 (02-24-2015) Amended Chapter 17.35 to remove 1-acre prerequisite for fee credit eligibility
Ordinance #1928(07-15-2014) Added Chapter 17.35 to City Code
Background Data & Supporting Documents:
Frequently Asked Questions:
- FAQ-Fact Sheet Parkland Dedication, In Lieu Fees and Credits
- 2019 Public Park Amenity & Design Standards (subject to change)
Annual Land Valuation Appraisal Reports
- December 31, 2019 Land Valuation Report draft available March 2020
- December 31, 2017 Land Valuation Appraisal Report
- December 31, 2016 Land Valuation Appraisal Report & Addenda
- December 31, 2015 Appraisal Report (Final Draft) August 15, 2016
Nexus Studies and Updates
- April 9, 2019 Parks & Recreation Facilities Development Impact Fee Study Update - Final (Willdan Financial Services)- Approved August 27, 2019
- June 25, 2014 Park and Recreation Facilities Development Impact Fee Study - Final (Willdan Financial Services-Nexus Study)
For more information, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at 408-615-2260.