Pharmaceutical Disposal Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Safe and Convenient Way to Dispose of Unwanted and Expired Medications, and Sharps

Medicines help treat diseases, manage chronic conditions and improve health and well-being for millions of Americans. It’s vitally important that patients take their medicines as prescribed by their health care provider. However, if you have expired or unwanted medication, proper disposal is important and easy.

SCPD has partnered with MED-Project to offer a free, safe and convenient drop-off service for residents to dispose of unwanted and expired medicines, and sharps. To protect your privacy and provide a safe situation for individuals disposing of these medicines and sharps, please take the following steps:

  • Cross or remove personal identifying information from the medicine bottle
  • Leave the product in its original container or place solid medicines in a sealed plastic bag
  • Sharps must be in U.S. Food and Drug Administration cleared sharps containers.
  • Place medicine in the kiosk at the Police Building (601 El Camino Real, 408-615-4700) or the Northside Substation (3992 Rivermark Parkway, 408-615-4744)

What is accepted?
Medications in any dosage, except for those listed below, in their original container or sealed bag. 

Sharps (such as hypodermic needles, pen needles, pre-loaded sharps, auto injectors, intravenous needles, lancets and other devices used to penetrate the skin for drawing blood, or for the delivery of medications) contained in U.S. Food and Drug Administration cleared sharps containers.

Items not accepted
Herbal remedies, vitamins, supplements, cosmetics, other personal care products, compressed cylinders, aerosols, inhalers, medical devices, sharps, illicit drugs and iodine-containing medications.

Controlled substances, unwanted medications not contained in sharps, and loose sharps that are not contained in U.S. Food and Drug Administration cleared sharps containers.

Additional Resources
Homebound and disabled individuals can contact MED-Project to request a pre-paid envelope to return your unwanted or expired medicine by contacting MED-Project at or 1-844-MED-PROJ.

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1. If you are experiencing a non-emergency but suspect that you or a family member has ingested something poisonous, call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.

View Full Site